I vectored the crown in Illustrator however the effect was not as effective as the hand drawn version. When I scaled the crown down I realised it was also too busy.
I decided to go back to the drawing board, literally, with the Crown design and hand drew so more ideas. I was concerned the design was at risk of being perceived as 'Juicy Couture' or Budweiser
I took inspiration from some Barney bubbles designs:
I adjusted Hobo's path as the starting point for the 'w' crown
After hand rendering some more logos and also after Grahams workshop on type I decided to look at a more traditional serif font rather than a stylised one. I chose Modern 20 as I think it has the same grace and elegance as the scripted fonts.
The 'i' dot was too big so I played about with different sizes and placing of this. I also experimented with changing the shape of the 'i'. I also decided as the w was quite sharp that I would make the ascenders, finials, serifs and ligatures sharper on the other letters by removing some anchor points.
The mid-line of the crown did not flow well with the e's cross bar so brought this in line.
I then experimented with different colour combinations. I used the blue and green from the Cooperative's website. I used red and yellow as Fred advised us this colour combination can make you hungry. I like the green alone as the Apples are red so if a green label was used the colours would make each other more vibrant. I like the yellows connotation with the sun. I tried red, white and blue as its relationship with the union jack makes people think of Britain
The apple blossom was a last minute bit of inspiration after I realised the 'logo' looked like a petal. I was really please with this effect but ran out of tome trying to refine this design. It ended up having all the different ideas together which I know before the crit was too busy.
I chose to use tints with this design as because of the red and green this was at risk of looking like Christmas wrapping paper
I tried this design with the 'co-op' blue and green colours which I think is effective aesthetically however it does not have an 'apple' connotation.
As this design evolved I imagined that I would be able to print the bottle package on opaque polypropylene, the design would have to be litho or screen printed. I can imagine being able to see the red apples through the packaging.