We had a group progress crit on Tuesday 8th Feb which was useful as everyone else has found it hard to focus on this brief given we are so near a module deadline and have just had a final crit for the last brief! I was relieved to see that everyone in my group had moved away from the photographs we originally took and it was interesting to hear other people's ideas.
On reflection I realised that I was overlooking my drawing skills and although I planned to screen print this to get a hand made quality it would still look 'digital'.
So I started again by brainstorming what objects are red and using my photos from earlier came up with some ideas for illustrations. A while ago I bought some wooden letter stamps so I also experimented with these. The effect is really pleasing and also will be commercially appealing . As below:
These designs also look more effective on Brown paper and a fantastic result for this brief, in terms of I need to reproduce this for ten books, is that the illustrations scan in and print off really well. I experimented printing off on brown paper on my Inkjet printer and it works like a dream.
I have been inspired by by the work of Linda Zaks and am planning to experiment with an idea based around spashed paint and cutting out letters as below: