Wednesday 18 May 2011

Speaking from experience - Learning After Effects

10 May 2011


Mike spent some time showing me the basics in After Effects.  it helped that I had mastered a good understanding of Final Cut.  


1. Set up a new composition
2.Preset - Pal D1/DV square pixel(or wide screen 1050 x 576) if not video.
3 Duration
4. Background colour
5. Can change in composition settings.

Mike showed me how to create shape layers and how to animate these.


To play back use RAM preview (half resolution if struggling to playback)


To animate
Click layer, transform, Van change position, scale, rotation, opacity by clicking the stop watch


Can add text as through add layers.










13 May 2011


I went away from this and created the Moving image for the progress crit.  This was a really good way to learn as it raised loads of questions which I went through with Mike


Mike then explained anchor points and how to use the pan behind tool.


He explained key board shortcuts for transforming:


Type P for position
        R for rotation
        A for anchor point
        S for scale
        T for opacity


To select more than one press shift then letter.


To see very property press 'U'








Over the weekend I found the Video Pilot tutorials which used the Trapcode plug in then went on to find the lights tutorial.













These introduced me to some really advanced techniques such as 3D effects, cameras and lights but also some basics which were really handy such as created separate compositions to apply effects to and to duplicate a layer then invert to create a reflection.  It also introduced me to Layer effects such as fast blur and also the significance of adjustment layers.  I followed the tutorial to the letter and produced the following:







Test using Video pilot tutorial from Lisa Whitaker on Vimeo.
Teaching myself After effects this is the first tutorial I have followed for After effects and I would highly recommend the Video pilot. Very clear tuition I had only been using After Effects for one week at this stage

I followed this up by adding the word design with more lights.  I also adjusted the camera position so it moved round more.



Untitled from Lisa Whitaker on Vimeo.


This is the first attempt at linking the 2d and 3d compositions.

Test 3 - extending the Video pilot tutorial from Lisa Whitaker on Vimeo




I also experimented with 3d text in Photoshop and decided to use the 'rubber' balloon effect:




Tuesday 17th May
At the workshop on Mike ran over the basics again which was actually useful as I had started to run before I could walk.  
Another useful technique he talked about was importing Illustrator and Photoshop documents.  The technique is quite different from having to produce a 'frame' by 'frame movement as fr Final Cut. The frames needed are just the changes which can them be animated by changing their position on After Effects.

The files can be imported as Footage or as an image sequence and as such need to be numbered sequentially.The sequence comes in as a layer which can then be manipulated in a separate composition.

Key points
Photoshop files for film and video same size as AE file ie 1050 x 576

If want to manipulate chose composition when importing




No comments:

Post a Comment