Tuesday 19 April 2011

What is a line - Idea development

As well as illustrating the action of Oli playing guitar I have also tried different ways of tracing/creating  a line in Illustrator and Photoshop.  I worked out how to convert a video file into individual jpegs using Quick Player.  /i then manipulated these in firstly in Illustrator and then in Photoshop.


This is a screen shot of the live trace setting

In Illustrator I tried unsucessfully to automate an action to live trace the jpegs ( as I videoed 15 frames per second it takes 900 frames to create a 60 second video!)  The action would have to be automated for this many frames,  So I settled for a 10 second piece using this method:


I was slightly more sucessful at automating the stylise filter trace contour in Photoshop.   I settled on this effect after experimenting with several filters however trace contour gave the best line effect. 


Trace Contour

Find edges

Glowing edges

Graphic pen

Ink outline

                                                                      Torn edges




I also experimented with adding the lyrics to the jpegs using the fill pattern feature in Photoshop and also filling the image with colour.






I tried using the special effects in Final Cut to see if these would be effective at showing the lines.  These are the results








I used the above images to try to create a flip book.  The paper needed to be slightly thicker and perhaps more images. The white line images did not print out clearly.

I also used a Final cut special effect line art which works reasonably well although does not look hand rendered :

No comments:

Post a Comment